Porsche in the 1950's
Although we love sharing with our fans updates of the work we do, we also like switch things up once in a while. For this particular Blog some research was done, so as to put together a few fun facts regarding the Porsche name during the 1950's.
In the late 1950's a US importer known as Max Hoffman, with a showroom located in New York City, was someone who put the first Porsche's on display to the public. An early model of a Porsche 356 was test-driven along Park Avenue by Hoffman, and even now this accomplishment has yet to be matched. In 1952 a dealer from Hollywood wanted to race in an early 356 model, and ended up ordering one that didnt even have paint or upholstery. John von Neumann ( the dealer ) ended up restoring the car and making the necessary modifications himself!
Also in 1952 the Porsche crest / logo was designed on a napkin, that was being used by Dr. Ferry Porsche during dinner, in the presence of again Max Hoffman.
The 1950's certainly seemed to be an instrumental decade for the Porsche name, with a few " firsts" also gained during this time. The Porsche roadster was the first racing car to appear in 1954 at the New York Auto Show. In 1958 the first single seat Porsche racing car was driven by Jean Behra at Rheims, France, whilst competing in a Formula 2 race. Finally in 1956 the Inaugural Porsche Parade was held on August 29-1956 in the country's capital, Washington D.C.
That's all for now early Porsche enthusaiasts. As always if you have an interesting fact or story to share please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured on our blog!